Local media, reported on Thursday Turkish authorities detained 3 suspects in connection with the collapse of an apartment building in Istanbul that claimed at least 21 lives.
Technical implementation supervisor Ugur Misirlioglu and building inspector Arzu Keles Boran, the state-run TRT television reported, the suspects held over the collapse in the residential district of Kartal on the Asian side of the city were identified as project officer Suzan Cayir.
According to the media, they are charged with “killing by negligence. Last week, the 80-storey block where 43 people were registered as living crumbled but the cause still remains unclear.
Security camera footage on media showed several people, including schoolchildren with backpacks, running away from the site as the building tumbled down and a cloud of dust engulfed the area.
Friends and relatives could be seen near the wreckage, waiting for news of their missing loved ones as emergency teams, aided by sniffer dogs, worked around the clock to reach possible survivors.
Local officials said 3 storeys were illegitimately added – a common practice in the Turkey’s largest metropolis of around 15 million people. After the prosecutor’s office said it was looking into the cause of the incident, Turkish television stations immediately ended their live broadcasts from the scene.
Copyright © 2019 Ghanalive.TV. All Rights Reserved.