At the end of the current Test series against South Africa, Darren Lehmann is to quit as head coach of Australia.
After the final Test in Johannesburg, which starts on Friday, in the wake of the ball-tampering scandal, the 48-year-old will step down. On Wednesday, Lehmann said, who was cleared of any wrongdoing by Cricket Australia that he would not resign.
For taking part in the scandal, the former skipper Steve Smith plus batsmen David Warner and Cameron Bancroft were banned. After watching Smith and Bancroft deliver emotional apologies at news conferences earlier on Thursday, Lehman made his decision.
Lehmann, who was contracted until the 2019 Ashes said: “After viewing Steve and Cameron’s hurting, it’s only fair that I make this decision. I’m ultimately responsible for the culture of the team.
“This will allow Cricket Australia to complete a full review into the team and allow them to implement changes to regain the trust of the Australian public, this is the right thing for Australian cricket.
“It’s been a wonderful experience coaching the Australian cricket team. I hope the team rebuilds from this and the Australian public finds it in their hearts to forgive these young men. They’ve made a grave mistake but they are not bad people.”
Copyright © 2019 Ghanalive.TV. All Rights Reserved.