Most of salad samples of street food vendors were found contaminated
Food and Drugs Authority (FDA) has cautioned the general public against the consumption of poorly made salads during festive season.
FDA released this statement after a research from London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine in the UK. This research revealed that more than 80 percent of salad foods vended on the open market in Accra have faeces.
According to the research, majority of the salad samples of street food vendors found contaminated with Escherichia coli. The Escherichia coli (E.coli) bacteria cause food poisoning.
Apart from food impurity, we wanted to know how consciousness of health risk from irrigated wastewater influences consumption of food that made with hygiene practices, lead researcher Dr. Prince Antwi-Agyei explained.
Therefore, we interviewed 160 customers of street food in two neighborhoods in Accra. We also interrogated 160 customers of salad vegetables at three central markets in Accra, he continued.
The research group suggests that public health workers would have to increase food safety education. The research also reveals that the people who eat outside pay little or no heed to hygiene.
According to Maria Aba Johnson, the head of Food Safety at the Authority, the public should take some level of responsibility for they eat.
Copyright © 2019 Ghanalive.TV. All Rights Reserved.