USAID supplied the maize shellers and multicrop threshers to the Northern and Upper East Regions’ farmers to increase their farming operation for the reduction of the post-harvest losses.
These were supplied by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) under its Agriculture Technology Transfer Project (ATTP).
Beneficiary farmers pay 30 % of the cost of the machines with USAID taking care of the remaining 70 %.
Grants Manager of Feed the Future – USAID-ATTP, Madam Blessing Kamakolam handing them over in a ceremony in Tamale, said the objective was to significantly increase maize production to enhance food security.
The sheller machine has the capacity to shell 50 bags of maize within a space of an hour and she said they should take advantage of that to expand their farms.
Madam Blessing Kamakolam spoke of plans to properly train the farmers to use and maintain the machines for optimal benefit.
Madam Kamakolam stated the determination of the US government to continue to give support to farmers and other weak communities to help transform their livelihood.
Madam Kamakolam advised the beneficiaries farmers to handle the equipment to with care to extend their life span.
Copyright © 2019 Ghanalive.TV. All Rights Reserved.